Since the future location of my shop is some what uncertain right now I have been doing a lot of planning for a way to set up my new space. I have come down to a few basics that I believe I need to have and my trip to CO really solidified my thoughts. It was the first time I have ever taken on a project like this in an on site fashion.The basics of my set up was the following. My MFT table and TS55 saw for cross cutting. My modified MFT double router table which also served as my out feed for the the cross cutting station. I also had to mini scaffold ladders to serve as a base for my plywood ripping/construction table. This I set up in line with the cross cutting table so I could simply pull the ripped parts onto the MFT for further processing. This proved to be very useful. I could accurately rip full sheets of plywoo
d and manage the large and heavy sheet stock easily by myself.I loved the way these 3 systems worked together and solidified the way I will set up my future garage shop. All 3 systems could be easily dismantled and put away in minutes.
Besides these 3 set ups, I also used my dovetailing system I have developed. It is wall mountable or could be easily mounted on a mobile cart. I was able to process 100 drawer parts on my cutting stations and dovetail 80 parts(both sides=160 routerings) AND build all 20 drawers in about 11 hours which was the most daunting drawer building I have ever attempted.

Overall the mobile shop performed great. I was faster and more accurate than i have ever been. The only real improvement would have been bringing my portable planer out with me(just didn't have room with all the non tool items in my truck as well) It would have helped me control the stock I was using and make it more uniform in thickness and size. It was even more efficient than my current set up in the basement which is also spread out into the garage. I look forward to finalizing my new set up in its new environment, when ever that may take place!
Some Stats from the trip:
- 8 Days
- 2331 miles traveled
- 18 cabinets(4 days including design)
- 20 dovetailed drawers(1 day)
- 26 cabinet doors(2 Days)
No comments:
Post a Comment