Saturday, April 12, 2008

Establishing Direction


I have decided to start an online journal of the evolution of my workshop and skill set. This should prove to be a helpful way to remember and document all my tricks and techniques that i discover along the way. My shop and my skill set are constantly evolving. In the beginning I felt like I had a pretty good idea of how the shop would develop and grow. There is a somewhat established "evolution" a classic woodworking shop follows, however since the introduction of Festool products into my shop I have come to realize that the rules have changed. I understand the basics of what the Festools are capable of, but I also recognize that I am only beginning to understand how versatile these tools can really be.

To take a guess at where the future of my shop and my woodworking skills will evolve to is difficult. I do have a few goals that will help me head in the right direction:

  • Understand and Explore both the capabilities and limitations of Festool
  • To continue to develop my skills and recognise the importance of hand tools
  • To continue to develop my skills in Google Sketch Up
By working on these 3 main goals from above, I think I will begin to understand what direction I want my woodworking to follow; what my personal style is and ultimately be able to design a cost/time effective furniture line.

No comments: